+1 power counters were introduced in the Monster Smash set. The tokens provided in most sets are used as both Victory Points tokens and +1 power counters. When a player gains VPs, they are given to them as "Victory Points tokens". On the other hand, when a token is placed on a card, it is called a "+1 power counter". When placed on a minion, they increase that minion's power as long as they are on it.
Players shouldn't confuse both uses of the tokens:
- If a player needs to place +1 power counters on a card, the tokens are taken from the common pool, not among that player's VP tokens.
- If a +1 power counter is removed from a card, it goes to the common pool; it is not given to the card's controller and therefore not converted into 1 VP!
- And if a player gains VPs, the tokens are taken from the common pool, not from their cards in play.
Players shouldn't confuse the difference between "+1 power counters" and "+1 (or +N) power". +1 power counters are only placed, removed or transferred when a card tells you to do so. Other than that, if a card gives a minion +1 or more power without specifying that it's a counter (e.g. Howler, The Central Brain, Augmentation, Laser Sword, Dragon Lands), the minion's power is increased by that amount without the use of +1 power counters. Players are free to use any means to help them remember these bonuses, except +1 power counters. Using +1 power counters to represent these power bonuses could lead to confusion as to which actually represent +1 power counters and which only represent a "simple" +1 power. This is important for cards that interact with +1 power counters. (e.g. Soldier, We Will Rock You, Blitzed, Mad Monster Party, Purge the Demon)
Factions using +1 power counters:
- Monster Smash set: Giant Ants, Mad Scientists, Vampires
- Smash Up: Munchkin set: Elves, Thieves, Warriors
- It’s Your Fault! set: Mythic Greeks, Sharks
- Cease and Desist set: Astroknights
- What Were We Thinking? set: Explorers, Teddy Bears
- All Stars Event Kit: Smash Up All Stars
- Big in Japan set: Kaiju, Itty Critters
- Main article: Rules
Placing +1 power countersEdit
- If the card is a minion, each +1 power counter adds 1 power to that minion's power for as long it is on it.
- If the card is an action (e.g. Summon Wolves), the ability of the card will tell you what the +1 power counters do.
- If the card is a titan, each +1 power counter adds 1 power to the total power of that titan's controller for as long as it is on it.
Removing +1 power countersEdit
Transferring +1 power countersEdit
When a card tells you to transfer one or more +1 power counters from a card to another (e.g. Soldier, A Kind of Magic), take that many tokens from the former card and place them on the latter. The card choices must be legal choices though. If a card tells you to transfer a +1 power counter from a minion to another minion, you cannot choose a +1 power counter on an action or a titan, and you cannot transfer the +1 power counter to an action or a titan either.
When a Card with +1 Power Counters MovesEdit
When a card with +1 power counters is moved (or transferred in the case of actions), the +1 power counters remain on it.
When a Card with +1 Power Counters Leaves PlayEdit
When a card with +1 power counters leaves play, either because it's discarded, returned to its owner's hand, put into a deck, etc. any +1 power counters on it are removed from it and placed back into the common pool.